The second annual event, Battle of the British Isles, run by Martin Wathes and Paul Baker took place last Saturday, 27th May. The four teams of 11 players, dressed in their team colours took part in a Ryder Cup style golf event. The four teams were:
- Oxford (Blue)
- North of England and Scotland (White)
- South of England (Red)
- Rest of the World (Green)
The draw took place before the noon tee off with one player from each team randomly picked to form a four-ball. The best stableford score in each four-ball received 4 points, 2nd place 3 points, 3rd place 1 point and 4th place 0 points.
Rest of the World (Green) were the runaway winner with 30 points.
South of England (Red) 2nd
North of England and Scotland (White) came 3rd. Oxford (Blue) were the reigning champions but unfortunately were unable to defend their title and came 4th.
Individual prizes were also awarded to:
- Men’s Winner – Dave Titcombe 37 points on c/b
- Men’s Runner-up – Mark Wharton 37 points on c/b
- Men’s Third Place – John Maloney 37 points on c/b
- Ladies Winner – Maureen Rhymes 40 points
- Ladies Runner-up – Sian Lewis 36 points
- Nearest the Pin on 2nd – Jake East
- Nearest the Pin on 11th – Philip Morley
The day ended with a lovely two-course meal and the presentation, with a reluctant Brian England from the Oxford (Blue) team handing over last year’s trophy to Ros Morris and the Rest of the World (Green) team.
Well done to everyone who took part. We look forward to another ‘Battle’ next year.